Autism Spectrum Conditions
Ysgol Y Deri is the centre of excellence for autism education practice within the local community.
Our successful Outreach team of education advisors and specialist learning support assistants work in partnership with Vale of Glamorgan Schools to create autism friendly, inclusive mainstream environments. We have developed a Framework for Excellence in Autism Inclusion to systematically develop the skills, understanding and knowledge of mainstream staff. Our aim is for all Vale mainstream schools to work together to support pupils with autism to develop their maximum level of social inclusion, independence, self organization and wellbeing.
Wherever possible we work in collaboration with specialist health practitioners to provide a cohesive, multi-disciplinary approach to supporting each child.
- We deliver a programme of county wide professional training opportunities and school based INSET for education practitioners.
- We provide advice and guidance sessions for education staff following observations and assessments of pupils in the school setting.
- We carry out focused work with groups/individual pupils to develop their self regulation, explore disclosure of diagnosis and problem solve difficulties at school.
- We identify and sign post to areas of exemplary practice within our local schools and arrange visits for staff to observe good practice at Ysgol Y Deri.
- We have been funded through The ASD Strategic Plan for Wales to develop Practical Autism Toolkits for Early Years, Primary, Secondary and Further Education settings. Please find the link for the downloadable iBook below under 'Practical Autism Toolkit'.