YYD have an on site team of therapists with specialist knowledge in a wide range of speech, language, communication and feeding difficulties.
The Speech and Language Therapists work with the School Leadership Team to identify training needs around communication and feeding and where appropriate provide whole school training for the benefit of all students.
Where a student is referred for Speech and Language Therapy, the therapists work within class collaboratively with the teacher and other support staff. There is close liaison with parents and this enables all people working with the child to work on agreed targets at the most appropriate times of day in the most naturalistic and meaningful setting. We also work closely with the multi-disciplinary Health Team and other agencies a student may be involved with.
We can be contacted on the school number 02920 352280. Our extension is 212041.
Where a child is referred to the service, the Speech and Language Therapist will:
- Gather information from previous Speech and Language Therapists the child has seen.
- Liaise with other members of the multi-disciplinary team as appropriate.
- Identify targets jointly with class teacher and parents.
- Advise and train staff on how to work on the targets throughout the school day.
- Support learning and generalisation of skills.
- Monitor and review progress.
- Contribute to the annual review process.
- Liaise with, inform and advise parents about their child's progress.
Makaton at Ysgol Y Deri
We pride ourselves on our use of Makaton throughout the school, across all phases and in all situations. Our school benefits from 2 members of staff who are trained and licensed Makaton regional tutors. We run workshops and training sessions in the school for Vale of Glamorgan as well as for participants from across South Wales.
We have a high percentage of staff in each department trained up to Foundation level, with some staff trained up to Stage 8 working throughout the school.
We are proud to be the first place in Wales to be awarded Makaton Friendly status as recognition of our hard work.